Adapted from a recipe by: Chris Friz
Butternut Squash Veggie Lasagna
• 25.5 oz (1 jar) Dave's Gourmet Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
• 1 large zucchini
• kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
• ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
• ½ cup diced medium size yellow onion
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• 8 oz mushrooms (white or crimini), chopped
• 1 package no boil lasagna noodles
• 1 lb. ground turkey or chicken
• 2 tbsp fresh sage, minced
• 15 oz ricotta cheese
• 2 cups mozzarella cheese
• 1 cup bread crumbs
1. Cut zucchini lengthwise into ¼ inch thick strips.
2. Lay out the pieces of zucchini on paper towels and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Zucchini will start to sweat and release liquid. After about 10 minutes, flip them and repeat step 2.
4. Add the extra virgin olive oil to a medium sized stock pot and cook onions, garlic, and mushrooms.
5. Check your zucchini again and dab off any remaining moisture with a paper towel.
6. Preheat oven to 375°F. For easy cleanup, line a 9x13 baking dish with tin foil.
7. In a large skillet brown 1 lb. ground turkey or chicken (salt and pepper to taste).
8. When meat is done browning, add whole jar of Dave's Gourmet Butternut Pasta Sauce and chopped sage.
9. Time to layer up your lasagna. Add meaty sauce, ricotta, lasagna noodles, zucchini slices and onion mixture. Repeat until pan is almost full. Top with mozzarella cheese and breadcrumbs and cover tightly with foil.
10. Place on middle rack of the oven at 375°F for 35-45 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 5-7 minutes until breadcrumbs are toasted and mozzarella cheese is slightly caramelized.