Recipe submitted by: Cathleen Daugherty
Butternut Squash & Polenta Casserole
• Tube of Polenta
• 2 Spicy Italian Chicken Sausage without casing
• 8oz Brown Mushrooms - sliced
• 8oz Jar of Roasted Red Peppers - drained & chopped
• 1/4 Onion - minced
• 4 Cloves Garlic - minced
• 1 pkg Shredded Mozzarella
• 1 Jar of Dave's Gourmet Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
• 1/4 tsp Hot Paprika
• Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Butter
1. Pre-heat oven to 350° and lightly coat bottom of 8x8 pan with extra virgin olive oil
2. Open polenta tube and slice into 18 quarter inch thick round slices
3. Line bottom of pan with 9 slices of the polenta and set pan aside
4. Start cooking mushrooms in a little extra virgin olive oil and butter adding half of the minced garlic and onion. Once the mushrooms start to brown, add more butter if needed. When onions and garlic are translucent, spread mushrooms over polenta in the 8x8 pan. Then spread 1/2 the mozzarella over mushrooms.
5. In the same skillet add butter, red peppers and remaining onion and garlic. Sautee until onion is translucent. The spread over the cheese layer in the 8x8 pan.
6. In the same skillet, brown the chicken sausage until cooked through. Spread it over the pepper layer, then spread most of the remaining cheese over the sausage.
7. Add the remaining 9 polenta slices to the top of the 8x8 pan and put a little mozzarella on each round.
8. Open a bottle of wine, you deserve a glass :)
9. Put jar of sauce in a pan on low heat while casserole bakes for 25 minutes. Drink another glass of wine.
10. Remove pan from oven and plate servings. Ladle sauce over the casserole.